ProjectPhoenix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Building a new town: Seashire

Go down 
+7
xSGTxGopher
Porkchop_96
iwilkilalzmBs
luccalessio
ZelosThePro
dude3338
Lacaille
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Future Seahire citizens, do you want to live
In a private dome
Building a new town: Seashire Vote_lcap76%Building a new town: Seashire Vote_rcap
 76% [ 13 ]
Underground
Building a new town: Seashire Vote_lcap24%Building a new town: Seashire Vote_rcap
 24% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 17

AuthorMessage
Lacaille
Retired
Lacaille

Building a new town: Seashire Empty
PostSubject: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime26/11/2011, 02:44

In anticipation of the update to 1.0 and the new map, I'd like to found a new town. I call it Seashire but you're welcome to suggest something better. I've also drawn up some rough plans:

Building a new town: Seashire Seashireedittedthumbnai
(click for bigger version)

Building a new town: Seashire Seashireplan2
(Drawn to scale)

I would like to build most of the town without the use of creative mode, although I may resort to using worldedit to make the main dome (or getting an admin to do it if I'm de-opped).

The main dome will probably be about 50 blocks high from the base on the sea bed, and it will have at least two levels inside, one of which will serve as an underwater tree farm. The defensive walls will be 5 blocks thick so that we can accommodate the redstone for the gates, and at least 5 blocks above sea level. If several people are interested in building this town, we could make more space inside the walls for smaller private domes.

There will be lots of room below the sea bed where we can build something like Undertown on the first Flux map, so people can live underground if they prefer. However, instead of sprawling horizontally, Seashire will be vertical with a central shaft that everyone could use to get to bedrock.

If you're interested, please reply to this thread Very Happy

Last edited by Lacaille on 28/11/2011, 01:39; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
dude3338
Woodsman
Woodsman
dude3338

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime26/11/2011, 03:33

This new town looks badass and seems like a great idea. I look foward to seeing it in the future Very Happy
oh yeah the boat will be a nice touch
Back to top Go down
Lacaille
Retired
Lacaille

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime26/11/2011, 03:42

I'm sure we'll build a fleet of ships to fill the docks when we're done with the dome and wall. The whole thing will be in the middle of an ocean, so there'll be plenty of room.
Back to top Go down
ZelosThePro
Iron smith
Iron smith
ZelosThePro

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime26/11/2011, 07:52

If I get an epic house spot and able to build a ship, I want in! Or if you let me have creative it can be arranged as well Razz

Still building New-New Brightvale though. It's gonna be bigger and better than the last three!
Back to top Go down
luccalessio
Iron smith
Iron smith
luccalessio

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime26/11/2011, 08:00

that loooks amazing and i cant wait to see it in the game!
Back to top Go down
iwilkilalzmBs
V.I.P

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime26/11/2011, 09:27

I will join and hopefully help build the town! It looks amazing!!
Back to top Go down
Lacaille
Retired
Lacaille

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime26/11/2011, 09:53

ZelosThePro wrote:
If I get an epic house spot and able to build a ship, I want in!

I don't want to build anything with creative or worldedit if possible; it kinda defeats the point of making a town and I don't want to spoil the fun. You'll get first choice of where to build though if you move to my town Very Happy

iwilkilalzmBs wrote:
I will join and hopefully help build the town! It looks amazing!!

Cool, glad to have you on board.

I've done some back-of-an-envelope calculations to see what kind of numbers we're looking at for resources. Needless to say, this is going to be big.

The dome will be 40 blocks in height, and it will require 8268 blocks of glass. That's 129 stacks... so a lot of sand. We could always scale it back to 30 blocks high which would only require 72 stacks of sand/glass, but it would be much less impressive.

I want to leave a gap of 35 blocks between the main dome and the defensive wall to allow for secondary domes and private domes. The wall will be octagonal viewed from above, with the straight sides being 64 blocks long, and the diagonal sides 45 blocks long. They will be 5 blocks deep (6 blocks on the diagonals) and 23 blocks high from the sea bed. This will require 54280 blocks of cobble, equivalent to a volume 35 × 35 × 45, which will be the size of the central atrium directly underneath the dome.

I hope this doesn't put anyone off. We can use dirt to make a temporary wall against the sea while we mine for cobblestone, and other people can find a desert to collect the 5 double-chests of sand we'll need. One person will make the dome so as to avoid confusion, but they'll need help to fill it with dirt so that there isn't any water inside.

Last edited by Lacaille on 26/11/2011, 14:41; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ZelosThePro
Iron smith
Iron smith
ZelosThePro

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime26/11/2011, 10:25

Lacaille wrote:
ZelosThePro wrote:
If I get an epic house spot and able to build a ship, I want in!

I don't want to build anything with creative or worldedit if possible; it kinda defeats the point of making a town and I don't want to spoil the fun. You'll get first choice of where to build though if you move to my town Very Happy

Yay! But I thought of more like a "starter kit", e.g a diamond toolkit just to avoid having to go through the whole from scratch phase. And possibly some sponge just to clear up all the water Razz

I'd really like to see it happen. You seem really serious about this with all them drawings and numbers. When I make a house or town I just jump into it and hopefully with success(so far so good lol). We're gonna need a shizload of furnaces if there's gonna be like 129 stacks of glass Shocked

Back to top Go down
Lacaille
Retired
Lacaille

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime26/11/2011, 10:33

ZelosThePro wrote:
Yay! But I thought of more like a "starter kit", e.g a diamond toolkit just to avoid having to go through the whole from scratch phase. And possibly some sponge just to clear up all the water Razz

Not sure about the sponge cause it's something we're not allowed to give you, but I may be able to arrange the diamond picks (without spawning them ofc).

ZelosThePro wrote:
I'd really like to see it happen. You seem really serious about this with all them drawings and numbers. When I make a house or town I just jump into it and hopefully with success(so far so good lol).

Normally I'd just jump right in as well, but this is big and I wanted to know the numbers in advance. As for the final look of the wall and the park/tree farm inside the dome, we'll leave that till we're building.

ZelosThePro wrote:
We're gonna need a shizload of furnaces if there's gonna be like 129 stacks of glass Shocked

Yeah, probably at least 10 running full time. This isn't going to be a fast build though, I expect it will take a week to finish the dome and wall, let alone all the different private domes and underground houses people will build.
Back to top Go down
luccalessio
Iron smith
Iron smith
luccalessio

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime26/11/2011, 14:12

all i know is that this dome thing will be amazing
Back to top Go down
Porkchop_96
V.I.P
Porkchop_96

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime27/11/2011, 12:42

looks cool, wouldnt mind living there myself. If you need help porks your man... i mean pig.
Back to top Go down
xSGTxGopher
Stone Mason
Stone Mason
xSGTxGopher

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime27/11/2011, 16:02

This looks really cool and if you need help I'll gladly offer my services. When I'm on that is. Are you building at the moment or are you waiting for the server to update?
Back to top Go down
luccalessio
Iron smith
Iron smith
luccalessio

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime28/11/2011, 00:38

i will join ur town, cause its amazing and kinda modern in s sense.
Back to top Go down
Lacaille
Retired
Lacaille

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime28/11/2011, 01:16

Glad to have you all on board Very Happy

xSGTxGopher wrote:
This looks really cool and if you need help I'll gladly offer my services. When I'm on that is. Are you building at the moment or are you waiting for the server to update?

We'll be waiting till the update happens, no point doing it now. We'll do most of the building in stages:

1. We find a nice secluded bit of ocean far from spawn.
  2. We build a solid 38 × 38 × 13 block of dirt in the centre of what will be Seashire.
  3. We dig out the dirt block leaving only a 1 block thick wall.
  4. We mine down until we reach bedrock to create a 36 × 36 × 45 hole in the ground.
  5. We then split into two groups, 1 goes to collect the necessary sand for the dome, the other begins constructing the defensive wall.
  6. The second group returns and begins constructing the main dome. There's a site called Plotz that will help us.

I'll oversee the work to make sure we're building things where they're supposed to be, but I'll do my fair share of the work. When the wall and dome are done, people will be free to concentrate on their homes, though I don't mind if you start making them while the public building work is still going on. We'll split the hole to bedrock into levels 6 blocks deep (1 block for the floor, 5 blocks of room above it) as we mine down. The first level down from the dome will be reserved for the public farm and spleef/PvP arenas. Otherwise, you're welcome to start building private houses underground, or private glass domes as long as they're not larger than 24 blocks in diameter and don't overlap the main dome or defensive wall.
Back to top Go down
ZelosThePro
Iron smith
Iron smith
ZelosThePro

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime28/11/2011, 03:39

We will need someone to gather wood/minerals as well. Probably gonna need a buttload of chests and tools for all the things.

Also about the sponge, I was thinking just you setting up sponge around where the dirt wall will be. It'll probably be pretty hard building underwater Razz
Back to top Go down
luccalessio
Iron smith
Iron smith
luccalessio

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime28/11/2011, 04:42

may i help to. i might not be the most likely person to help, but i really want to help. I would help with anything. ANYTHING.
Back to top Go down
Lacaille
Retired
Lacaille

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime28/11/2011, 14:05

ZelosThePro wrote:
Also about the sponge, I was thinking just you setting up sponge around where the dirt wall will be. It'll probably be pretty hard building underwater Razz

Well, I was thinking we'd just fill the water in with dirt then dig it out, but I may resort to sponge. If we did it by hand, it would take 264 stacks of dirt just to fill in a 36 by 36 square from the sea bed to surface. I'd rather not use creative if possible, but I might have to make a few exceptions... no one wants the job of collecting that much dirt Neutral
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime28/11/2011, 15:20

looks good lac thats the first thing thats getign enderdragoned
Back to top Go down
ZelosThePro
Iron smith
Iron smith
ZelosThePro

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime29/11/2011, 00:39

Lacaille wrote:

Well, I was thinking we'd just fill the water in with dirt then dig it out, but I may resort to sponge. If we did it by hand, it would take 264 stacks of dirt just to fill in a 36 by 36 square from the sea bed to surface. I'd rather not use creative if possible, but I might have to make a few exceptions... no one wants the job of collecting that much dirt Neutral

Exactly Razz Don't feel bad about using creative once or twice. If it was me I'd probably spawn everything in and then fly around building and still fail. Besides, sponge isn't exactly cheating as it supposed to be natural. No one will suspect anything if you say you found sponge trees Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lacaille
Retired
Lacaille

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime29/11/2011, 03:08

I spose so. We'll do all the mining and construction by hand, but for emptying the water out of the dome and the mine shaft, I'll use creative.

And if I find any enderdragons smashing my precious dome to bits, you might find love hearts and mustaches spontaneously spawning on certain space marine statues Razz
Back to top Go down
XxBlackcanoexX
Woodsman
Woodsman

PostSubject: We need esk!   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime29/11/2011, 13:01

He would be good at this and he has massive creativity with building so Lac let him help, hes really good! Razz
Back to top Go down
maxwellc321
Freshly Spawned
Freshly Spawned
maxwellc321

PostSubject: sweet   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime4/12/2011, 11:48

wouldn't mind joining myself that's if of course there's room i would like to help the building i try to avoid collecting $h1* tons of blocks if possibles ill take what i can get Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime5/12/2011, 11:11

Awesomely Awesome as always lol I'm Helping lol
Back to top Go down
Lacaille
Retired
Lacaille

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime5/12/2011, 13:47

We've officially started building Seashire on Phoenix. If you're part of the team, remember that we're not hoarding cobble or iron as it's needed for the construction project. You're welcome to keep anything else though.

We'll start building the dome when we're done with the hole. I might have to build it alone, as the plan for the semi-sphere is quite complicated to follow and it would be hard sharing the work.

I'll lay the foundations of the wall soon so that other players can build that. We're currently aiming to build it 7 blocks above the surface of the water. The design is not finalised yet, so if you have ideas for the final look of the wall, please post them here. It will be octaganol regardless, and 5 blocks thick in all places.

Once the hole is dug and the foundations for the wall and main dome in place, you're welcome to build your private domes. Since everyone has voted to live in a dome, we might have to reduce the max size to 20 in diameter to accommodate more inside the wall. If you want to build a bigger dome outside the wall you're welcome to do that.

Lastly, since no one wants to live underground, I thought we could build shops down there as well as public farms and spleef/PvP. The shops will be our town market, so that people can get the mats they need.

Last edited by Lacaille on 7/12/2011, 01:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZelosThePro
Iron smith
Iron smith
ZelosThePro

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime5/12/2011, 17:56

I thought you were going to build on 1.0 flux..

Anyways, I guess I better update then! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building a new town: Seashire   Building a new town: Seashire Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Building a new town: Seashire
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next